30 November 2010
Report exploring existing datasets to inform The Golden Economy report
This report, written by Dr Adele Atkinson and David Hayes of the Personal Finance Resource Centre (PFRC) at Bristol University, explores existing datasets to inform The Golden Economy report.
The main aim of this report is to explore existing datasets and compare older consumers with younger cohorts and track individuals’ patterns of consumption across time.
The report explores:
* Assets, wealth and income of older people;
* Spending on various types of products by older people;
* The way people pay for goods and services;
* The use of different sales outlets (shop, catalogue, online, etc) by older people.
This report draws on data from a number of sources, as acknowledged below:
1. Published output from the Wealth and Assets Survey 2006/2008, as reported in ‘Wealth In Great Britain’ (Office for National Statistics, 2009).
2. Study Number 5050 - English Longitudinal Study of Ageing: Wave 0 (1998, 1999 and 2001) and Waves 1-3 (2002-2007) (Marmot et al., 2009).
3. Expenditure and Food Survey 2004; 2007 (Office for National Statistics and Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs, 2009).
ILC-UK are grateful to Age UK for making this report possible.