ILC-UK is the leading think-tank on ageing and demographic change. We have over 15 years’ experience of producing ground breaking research, policy analysis and debate.
Presenting current and futures research on economic policy, families and community, health and social care, migration and integration, transport and planning, work and wellbeing. Issue and impact driven – we aim to improve public policy and practice both at the national and international level. We are solutions focussed and all our reports include targeted recommendations for future action.
Over the last year, we have enjoyed great success both in terms of our impact and reach:
*Producing over 35 reports.
*Holding over 50 high level events and conferences in conjunction with Number 10 Downing Street, members of the royal family, Ministers and celebrities.
*Featuring in every UK national newspaper and international publications, contributing to national TV and Radio debates and reaching an international Twitter audience of more than 5 million.
We need an economic analyst to lead on quantitative economic research projects, to feed their analysis into the wider work of the team, and to communicate research findings via engagement with policymakers and media.
The successful candidate will therefore need to be able to link data analysis to current economic policy debates, have well-honed writing skills and be able to explain complex economic ideas in plain language.
The ability to interpret and manipulate data is a must. In particular, applicants will need to be familiar with the mathematical and statistical techniques of applied economics, as well as statistical computing methods. For instance, in the role we would envisage the job holder using STATA, SPSS or an equivalent statistical software package to derive new insight from large micro datasets such as the Wealth and Assets Survey, the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing, Labour Force Survey or Family Resources survey (amongst others).
The role would suit an outstanding individual with extensive experience in using economic analysis in a research or policy environment. We’re particularly interested in candidates with experience in researching issues around pensions and financial capability, the labour market or housing.
1. Essential: A Masters or higher degree in economics or equivalent training and work experience.
2. Essential: Experience of analysing large social science datasets, such as ELSA, LFS, WAS or FRS.
3. Essential: Experience of devising and planning analytical work, from researching appropriate methods to resolving methodological challenges.
4. Essential: Experience in the dissemination of research and the presentation of results in an academic, public policy or industry setting.
5. Essential: A track record of drafting and publishing reports or articles at speed.
6. Essential: Experience of presenting research findings and policy implications to non-technical audiences, both in writing and verbally in a range of formats.
7. Essential: Sound project management skills with experience of managing own time effectively and working on a number of projects simultaneously.
8. Essential: Ability to work independently but to offer support and guidance to junior members of the team as well as work with other team members.
9. Desirable: Experience of fundraising through leading on, or contributing to, tenders or project proposals from ideally a range of funders, including Government, academic trusts, foundations and charities.
10. Desirable: Demonstrable interest or experience of working on ageing related issues and a knowledge or interest of public policy environment in this field including policy development and the political process.
11. Desirable: Knowledge of UK public policy debates around the future of pension provision, financial capability, housing or the labour market.
12. Desirable: Have an existing network among relevant academic/public policy community.
The ILC-UK envisages this post to be a full-time position but is happy to consider part-time arrangements, flexible working and secondments for the right candidate.
Send a (maximum) two page CV and (maximum) one page covering letter to the Director of Research and Strategy at email@example.com ensuring that the name of the position appears in the email subject field.
If selected for interview you will be asked to produce a short sample of your written work.
Hours 5 days a week, 35 hours (flexible for the right candidate)
Application deadline 27th February
Duration of contract Permanent
Interview date 14-20th March
Salary £35,000-£45,000 depending on experience
Start date ASAP
Place of Work Normal place of work will be at the International Longevity Centre-UK (ILC-UK) in Westminster, London.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to notify unsuccessful applicants. If you have not been notified of the outcome of your application within four weeks of the closing date, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Date :26 January 2017
Documents:JD Economic Analyst ()
Are you looking for a short-term paid role in a think tank over the summer?
The independent think tank the International Longevity Centre – UK (ILC-UK) is seeking a summer intern to start on Monday 23 July. The intern would work 4 days a week for a period of 4 weeks, with the possibility of extension.
Date :10 July 2018
New research ‘An Economic Analysis of Flu Vaccination’ paints a picture of lives saved and costs averted, but more needs to be done to increase uptake
Date :05 July 2018
Ben Franklin, Assistant Director of Research and Policy comments on the role of public policy, industry and consumer bodies in assisting the regulator to protect consumers.
Date :28 June 2018
On 19th June entries opened for the Innovating for Ageing initiative, a competition to identify solutions to the challenges facing vulnerable consumers.
Date :19 June 2018
The International Longevity Centre – UK (ILC-UK) and Just Group have analysed the submissions and created a shortlist to take forward that helps deal with ageing issues such as cognitive decline, failing physical health, loneliness and digital exclusion.
Date :12 June 2018
We are looking for an experienced, flexible and proactive candidate to support the Senior Management Team in managing the financials of the organisation.
Date :11 June 2018