Responding to Aviva’s second Working Lives report, David Sinclair, Assistant Director of Policy and Communications at ILC-UK said:
“'Putting off’ retirement planning places young people at risk of living in poverty later in life. We must better plan for tomorrow, today.
Whilst many younger people are struggling to save, it is positive news that large numbers do not plan to opt out of automatic enrolment for pensions. Auto enrolment will result in millions more people saving for later life.
Society must do more to instill a savings culture in the young. Saving needs to become a social norm.
Government and the industry should work together to develop and promote a savings rule of thumb similar to the ‘5-a-day’ healthy eating message.”
Notes: Aviva’s latest working lives report is being published on 27th February. The report finds:
- Britain’s workers remain undecided on pension saving - 37% of employees say they will opt out of automatic enrolment, and 28% are undecided.
- Affordability is a key obstacle - almost half (45%) of employees who do not currently take up the pension they are offered say they don’t have the cash.
- Only a third (37%) of employees are confident about their financial situation.
- Two-thirds of employees (65%) say their key workplace concern is how their pay compares to the cost of living.
- Nearly two-thirds (60%) of employees lack confidence in the UK economy.
Younger people and saving: ILC-UK’s 2011 report, Resuscitating Retirement Saving: How to Help Today’s Young People Plan for Later Life, produced with the support of Prudential, examined the financial and economic circumstances of young people today. It considered the role of behavioural economics in nudging young people towards saving for retirement.
Date :27 February 2013
The International Longevity Centre – UK (ILC-UK) and Just Group have analysed the submissions and created a shortlist to take forward that helps deal with ageing issues such as cognitive decline, failing physical health, loneliness and digital exclusion.
Date :12 June 2018
We are looking for an experienced, flexible and proactive candidate to support the Senior Management Team in managing the financials of the organisation.
Date :11 June 2018
Date :18 May 2018
However, the analysis also finds the higher the proportion of over 70s in a local population, the higher the rate of productivity growth
Date :11 May 2018
Just and ILC-UK ‘Innovating for Ageing’ project calls for submissions on problems relating to consumer vulnerability
Date :06 April 2018
Life expectancy and health outcomes worsen the more deprived an area or population is, new research from Cass Business School has found.
Date :27 March 2018